Re: ATP

In article <921879604.305096@terra.ultra.net.au>,
  phaedrus@ultra.net.au (Darryl Georgee) wrote:

>  Right on Matt, but as with many things the theory is good
>  but in practice it has been/is a nightmare for the people on
>  the ground who have been inflicted with it. As prev mentioned.
>  Westec are up to ver 16 on the software. It still has a long way
>  to go. The difference between driving a train with and without ATP
> is like chalk and cheese.
> But then I'm only a driver so wot would I know :-)
> .

Matt Smith has given an excellent description of the system, but I would be
interested if you could elaborate on *why* you don't like driving with it. In
his Modern Railways column, Alan Williams once complained about the ride
quality of the Eurostar through the Channel Tunnel as compared to a
conventional UK mainline train. His complaint was that the train seemed to
constantly accelerate and decelerate quite rapidly, as if the driver were
always having to adjust the speed to match the target speed on the cab
signalling system, as opposed to a driver on a line equipped with
conventional multiple aspect colour light signalling who could use a
combination of route knowledge and caution aspects to smooth out the ride
somewhat. Is this the sort of problem you are encountering?

Do you drive freight trains? If so, I would imagine that the effects of such
a system would be potentially more difficult to deal with than if you were
driving modern high performance passenger stock. Please let us know :-)

Rob

Sydney (Australia)