Re: BLs vs NRS

In article <36F3914A.2FBFA824@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:15:06 +1100
>From: David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: BLs vs NRS

>Ben Staples wrote:

>> Are you sure that Cowan bank is only 1:40. From memory Cowan Bank is closer
>> to 1:30. I will talk to the surveyor on Monday and get the exact steepest
>> grade between Hawkesbury River station and Cowan station.
>>
>> Hell, surely someone in this news group will know how much an unassisted NR
>> can pull up Cowan Bank???

1295 tonnes , same as from Harden to Demondrille. (a continuous 1:40)
The curious thing is , you will never see one doing it .

>The steepest is 1 in 36.  After leaving Hawkesbury, the grades are 1 in:
>41, 40,  37, 40, 37, 40, 42, 40, 38, 36, 40, 37, 40, 42, 40, 58, 55, 40, 53, 56,
>50, 45, 50, 47, 50.

Its worth pointing out here that the absolute grade is not as important as the
distance the grade applies for , ie a very short 1:30 grade will only appear as
a 1:30 if its equal or longer  than the length of the train.
The steepest bit applies from Hawkesbury River to the mouth of
Boronia No 2 tunnel, a distance of 4.8 km

MD