Re: Some VR, V/Line questions

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <<<<<<I disagree absolutely!  I'm not known to stand up for Poms too often but
> they are miles ahead of us and the yanks and anyone else when it comes
> to graphic design.  The London Underground map is the world leader, and
> look at British tv ads - they're very graphically attractive (eg British
> Airways).>>>>>>>>>
>
> Yes the London underground map has become a classic but its not that different
> to other subway type maps from other cities and I'm not even sure London's was
> first.

IIRC from my lectures at uni, the London underground map was actually designed by
an electrical engineer, hence the layout where all lines are
vertical/horizontal/at 45 deg angles (thus supposedly like an electrical wiring
diagram).
On a separate note, you can now get plastic playing cards with the Underground map
on the back; after going to a conference in London, one of my lecturers brought a
number back and handed them out to us at a lecture.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers