Re: BLs vs NRS

>>It would seem you don't get much for your 1000 horses. Going by this two
>>NR's can only handle 1900 tonnes up Cowan Bank. I've seen some long trains,
>>though they must be light.
>

>You actually get very little  for the extra HP,in terms of ability to haul
>heavier loads,but you can haul the same loads a bit faster.

Yes, and you also get a more fuel efficient loco and the abililty to
bring locos on and off line whilst under power. For example a
triple-header could run along on flattish track with only one loco
powering. When you approach a rise you could bring another loco in the
consist on line and when you get to a steep grade bring the other
online. All without shutting the throttle or stopping. So three NRs
might be 12000hp or 8000hp or 4000hp and with load limiting this can
be even more tightly adjusted.

Mechanically it doesn't matter which loco in a consist you limit. So
you could have a triple-header with the front loco off line, the
second poering in eight notch and the third powering in six notch.
With conventional locos yougenerally set the power to get up the
ruling grade before you leave the terminal and thus are overpowered
for parts of the trip (wasting fuel).

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.