Re: First Generation Diesel Questions

<<<<<<<<<<<>Did the Victorian Railways "Y" class have vigilance control?
>What about other VR shunters? ("F", "W")
>Did the NSWGR 40 class have dual control stands?
>What about the first series VR "T" class - single or dual control stand?

>TIA ... JD

>John Dennis
>Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
>http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html

Cant comment on the vigilance controls, but neither the 40s or Ts had dual
control stands.
In fact no VR hood units ever had dual control stands.
Was / is this a deliberate policy of VR , or simply to save money.>>>>>>>>>

No Y, F or W had vigilance control that I know of.

I don't know a thing about NSW 40 class.

The 1st series T's did not have dual controls but they were delivered with the
control stand on the opposite side to where it ended up. In other words, these
loco's had the control stand arranged so that when running short end first the
driver was on the correct, (left hand) side. This meant they could only be run
short end first. Not long after their delivery the control stands were moved to
the other side so they could run either direction. ( long end first, driver on
the LH side, short end first, driver on the wrong side) This did not apply to
ALL of the 1 st series T's I'd have to check the exact numbers.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/