Re: Fixing the Nth Coast Line.

David Martin wrote:

> Given the money, I'd start by building a line from Newcastle to Taree via
> Nelson Bay, pre-fab tunnel under Port Stephens, Tea Gardens, Buladelah, & a
> stop near Forster (I'd go around the west side of the lake). Design the line
> for 160km/h to 200km/h for 90% of the distance.

Given the money you could do anything, I suppose. But why bother to go
under Pt Stephens instead of around it? Would there be any traffic
to/from Forster? Wouldn't design for some lower speed be cheaper? If you
could get average speed up to around 85km/hr overall this would mean a
12 hour journey which would allow departure from Sydney around 5-7 pm
for pick up in Brisbane at 5-7am. Even passenger trains, if we must have
the damn things, could run on a true overnight schedule.

Wouldn't it be nice...

Barry Campbell