Re: Signalling in Victoria

MarkBau1 wrote:
<<<<<<<> Could someone help with signalling please.
> The signalling on the Racecourse Line (melb) is Automatic 2
> position signalling, am I correct in saying is the signal is Green
> the it is proceed, Red is Stop.  With a 'A' plate on the signal it
> is an auto and can be passed at stop (etc..) Without the 'A' it is
> a Home signal? Where there is two signals one next to the other
> they give proceed to either the left line or the right.>>>>>>>

This line was a rarity as the A plates were only installed in between race
days. Come race day the A plates were removed and all signals became home
signals.

As far as I am aware, the system worked as follows:

On Show and Race Days the signals operated as 2 position automatics.
When pass services were not running, the signals were crossed and the lights extinguished.
The overhead was also turned off by use of a single lever "C" next to the Newmarket power station.
This lever was released by Crosslock.
In this circumstance, only a LOW speed signal could be displayed on the Down Home signal at Newmarket, and the line was worked as a siding.
When Pass train ran, Medium speed signals were displayed.

In latter times it was found easier to just throw a black cross on
each signal in between race days. I doubt there is any traffic out there now
except for show and race trains so they probably don't bother with the crosses
anymore.

Flemington Racecourse is used for stabling purposes with the Flinders Street decentralisation.
The Gates at Ascot Vale road were removed with the city link project, as Upfield trains ran to Newmarket and terminated, and also stabled there. Booms meant no signallers were required for the operation of the Hand Gates.

It is still used today for stabling up to 4 trains in the off peak period.

--
Thanks, Tony.

"Keyboard controller failure. - Press F1 to continue..."

New Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~baulko

It's here: Railpix - Australian Railway Photography.
            http://railpix.freeservers.com