Re: Signalling in Victoria

<<<<<<<> Could someone help with signalling please.
> The signalling on the Racecourse Line (melb) is Automatic 2
> position signalling, am I correct in saying is the signal is Green
> the it is proceed, Red is Stop.  With a 'A' plate on the signal it
> is an auto and can be passed at stop (etc..) Without the 'A' it is
> a Home signal? Where there is two signals one next to the other
> they give proceed to either the left line or the right.>>>>>>>

This line was a rarity as the A plates were only installed in between race
days. Come race day the A plates were removed and all signals became home
signals. In latter times it was found easier to just throw a black cross on
each signal in between race days. I doubt there is any traffic out there now
except for show and race trains so they probably don't bother with the crosses
anymore.

<<<<<> Is there any locking of the starting signal (ie with trains in the
> section)?>>>>>>

Not anymore but under Sykes lock and block system a treadle locked the starter
until line clear was recieved from the next station. (My memory of the details
of lock and block are a bit fuzzy so if I'm wrong please correct me)

<<<<<< is there any
> where now that shows medium speed on a repeating signal?>>>>>>>

Strictly speaking a repeater cannot show reduce to medium but as always on VR,
there were and are exceptions.

<<<<<<> Calling on signals are just like low speed caution? ie line may not be
> clear.>>>>>

The difference with a low speed caution is that it can apply to any route
whereas a calling on only applies to the same track as the home above. An
exception to this exists at Somerton where the calling on applies to the BG AND
SG track. Both mean the same thing, "if you hit something you just brought it!"

<<<<<<<> One last thing, the centre line on the Box Hill line is Track control
> and the city loop and centre line on the Frankston line are auto block
> signalling why the difference? what is the difference?>>>>>

Lever Locking & Track control was done away with a few years ago I believe
replaced by ATC rules. ABS is not actually a system, (unless they changed the
rules after I left) A track like say Essendon to Broadmedows is actually worked
under the double line block rules but in addition it is provided with three
position signalling. The reason why the centre line on the Box Hill was LL&TC
was because it was bi-directional. I'm not sure what the Moorabin centre line
is worked under.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/