Re: Ararat BG connections- Lets Standardise instead!

But the politicians assure us that the mixed gauge situation has been solved
and we now have one great homogenous nation wide system thanks to Paul
Keating! Of course a few insignificant branch lines still require
conversion, but this can wait, as roads are bigger vote pullers,

Cheers
John Wayman

David Langley wrote in message <36ECE6B1.7A0F12EF@ancc.com.au>...

>Maurie Daly wrote:
>

>> Standardization of BG tracks needs to provide an economic return if its
to be
>> done.
>> Simply providing alternative routes which could be used if the primary
>> route is closed or blocked simply doesnt justify the expense .
>> How many times since its opening has the Melb - Adelaide SG line been
closed
>> or blocked?
>> The existing Melb - Adelaide line is running at about half its
theoretical
>> capacity currently ,and even with the most optimistic forecasts of rail
>> winning back freight from road wont get to 100% capacity in the next 20
to 50
>> years.
>> If anything the number of trains running over this corridor will
>> actually fall as increased loads are carried.
>> It would be nice if all of Victoria was SG , but unless its funded by
Govt, no