Re: One morning at Merri...

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:02:59 +1100, "David Proctor"
<daproc@spam_this.umpires.com> wrote:

>Krel wrote in message <36e99ff5.884683@news.netconnect.com.au>...
>
>>AFAIK 45s were BANNED from hauling a train long end leading (except
>>Sydney trippys).
>
>That was a union ban, and was because, with long end leading, the exhaust
>stack was in front of the cab and the fumes were getting into the cab. It
>was not a problem on the 48's though.
>
>>Branchline locos (47, 48, 49.) were permitted to run
>>long end leading ONLY if no turning facilities were available. I was
>>an engineman in NSW from 1975 to 1993 and can only recall running a 45
>>long end leading once. Since I have been in Vic I have run many Ps,
>>Ts, Xs, etc long end leading - they are considered truely
>>bidirectional.
>
>With the controls behind you and sitting on the wrong side? Whatever you
>reckon.

Ps, Ts, and early Xs are set up to run long end leading. When running
short end first the brake valve is behind you (over your left shoulder
- thats why the handles are so high). Visibilty is not an issue
because when long end first you are on the "correct" side and when
short end first you have a low nose (or at least your loco does) so
can see the other side of the track. You soon learn to drive these
things side-saddle. It ain't great but we are talking 30-40 year old
technology.

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.