Re: One morning at Merri...

>>Why would this be a problem? Both T and P class are bidirectional
>>locos and Vic (unlike NSW) have no qualms about a spot of long end
>>leading.
>>More likely it was because of the hills and pathing requirements.
>
>NSW do not have a problem with long end leading - this has been amply porven
>with the running in NSW over the last 30 years - providing the driver is
>correctly positioned with the controls in the correct position. This was a
>problem with Victorian locos, that only had one driver station - so when the
>locos were required to be driver "the wrong way" the driver was on the wrong
>side, and had the drivers controls behind him.

AFAIK 45s were BANNED from hauling a train long end leading (except
Sydney trippys). Branchline locos (47, 48, 49.) were permitted to run
long end leading ONLY if no turning facilities were available. I was
an engineman in NSW from 1975 to 1993 and can only recall running a 45
long end leading once. Since I have been in Vic I have run many Ps,
Ts, Xs, etc long end leading - they are considered truely
bidirectional.

In Vic some crews ran long end leading BY CHOICE.

In the 70s and 80s it was very rare to see a Hood loco long end
leading on the main line in NSW. In Vic it was common.

This cultural thinking is being perpetuated in the fact the NR class
are banned from long end running in NSW (&QLD) except LE/trip train or
emergencies. In Vic it happens daily from Somerton to Melb(9606) and
has occured a few times from Berrybank to Melb.

Cheers

Krel
Cheers

Krel