Re: Sydney Rail Tunnel Tours

It would be interesting to survey who's using what. I can understand why
with a 486DX-33 (it is DX?), you might not want to run Gates' bloatware -
even 95. I bought a 486DX4/100 (LBA) with 16MB  which had Win98 running on
it. Could not get Win95b (OSR2) to run, so backed it to Win95 (original) as
a file server. It's reasonable with that OS. My modem is on my "original"
updated PC (from our old 386SX) which is a P2-333 on BX mobo with Win98/IE4
etc (cost more than I care to admit, yuk!). I also have networked a Celeron
300A/BX mobo and a P75, both running Win98. The 333 was intended for video
editing, so the Celeron (cost $850 incl. monitor) and the P75 are
respectively my office PC and my wife's "watch the kids and type a letter"
family room PC. I elected to network to the one colour inkjet printer rather
than buy more. The 486 server has 3.2G HDD (cost $250 w/o monitor) as a
backup and net resource, and has one partition mapped from the P75 (cost
$190 w/o monitor) with some applications installed to the mapped drive (515M
is a bit tight these days).

Around Perth, a PC much faster than a 486-33 can be put together for under
$300 - hardware only.

Netiquette is a real issue, because it is a nice way of saying we must
operate at the lowest common denominator. That said, I don't see much value
in HTML or RTF over ASCII "plain text", but I do see value in being able to
include diags, pix, etc. That points to a "bin" NG but the lively discussion
is HERE!

DW