South Africa Garden Route News 11 Mar 99 (Railway info)

HI there Folks,

Web site  http://www.lantic.co.za/~jmiles/steam.html

** LENNINGS RAIL SERVICE: Doing track maintenance on George -
Wilderness line
** Union Limted  in town
** RAILROAD ROMANTIC Special
** OUTENIQUA MOUNTAINS AERIAL CABLEWAY: Update

Last night was attending a braai when at 18:55 I heard the shrill
whistle of the GEA Garratt at Caledon street rail crossing coming back
from Oudtshoorn, my immediate reaction was to skip the braai and
rather go down to the station, but alas family duty !

George station was a hive of activity, we had the GEA, GMAM, 19D, 24,
Class 32 diesel, Lennings Rail Service vehicle UV2

Arrived at the station at 7:35 saw the Class 24 No :3324 in an array
of steam as the injectors were pumping water thru to the boilers.

The GEA Garratt being readied for preparation for the trip back to
Voorbaai. Frans Willemsen (driver) was busy oiling the necessary
points, when they went to coal up and then in impressive clouds of
smoke she shunted to the right track to take her to the far side
watering point close to the Museum.

The  RAILROAD ROMANTIC rail special had 3 modern orange coloured
coaches on with the GEA Garratt up front. Strange
combination,  suppose that was requested by the Swiss party I believe.

A flagman was at the loco shed warning  that the Lennings Rail Service
(LRS) maintenance vehicle (UV2 yellow coloured)from Johannesburg was
busy doing  track maintenance at various sections of the line, which
are in a bad way with sleepers in a non existent  role.

At 8:35 the LRS vehicle ambled in the station , then the Class 32
vintage diesel electric (No 32-047) went down to Wilderness with
various inspectors on board to test and OK the track condition.

8:45 the GEA linked up with the RAILROAD ROMANTIC rail special.

8:50 the Union Limited crawled into the station with the front 19D (No
2749) wheel slipping once and the GMAM Garratt effortlessly pulling
behind the 12 UL coaches.

09:00 RAILROAD ROMANTIC rail special left George station bound for
Voorbaai, then diesel hauled as far as Swellendam.

09:30 Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe with Class 24 No 3324 up front hauled the 5
coaches out of George station with plenty of tourists.

Once the UL was all watered and coaled she left for Oudtshoorn where
she will depart at 17:00 this afternoon for the trip back to George.

OUTENIQUA MOUNTAINS AERIAL CABLEWAY PROJECT:

Will take 10 months to complete, the green light has to come from
Pretoria were the final permits will be issued so the work can start.
Still waiting spoke to the Project Co-ordinator Boet Smuts yesterday
A soon as the green light is given I will post various drawings and
data on my web page or linked to a specific site.
Keep you informed as to how the Rail system will dove tail with the
project.

Regards

Justin Miles
PO Box 1968                 Tel +27-44-8711360
George 6530                 Cel +27-82-4459815
SOUTH AFRICA              Email: jmiles@lantic.co.za

Steam Train web page: http://www.lantic.co.za/~jmiles/steam.html
Cathcart (Eastern Cape South Africa)Tourism Web site: http://cathcart.hypermart.net