Re: What Derailment at Hornsby Yesterday?

David Johnson wrote:

> Stuart Ellis wrote:
>
> > I was only passing on 2nd hand inofrmation, as the person told me he
> had
> > heard it on the news on his way to work. It is amazing how the media
> can
> > blow things out of proportion. Thanks Bob, for clearing this up
>
> There was another derailment at Hornsby today.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> CityRail Guard
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

At approximately 12 pm, an 8 car G set was departing No 1 up siding at
Hornsby, when the driver mistakenly put it into reverse. The train went
backwards a few feet, enough to demolish the stop blocks and also derail
the last bogie. The driver was unaware of this and drove off forward,
and as he was moving noticed that his wheelslip light was continually
on. The guard looked out the side of the train and saw all this dust
being kicked up and pulled the tail.  If he did not, I would say that a
lot more damage would have been done, as it was pulled up just short of
the points leaving the yard.  I passed there at about 1:20 and the front
4 cars had been detached and moved aside and the rear 4 cars were
standing adjacent to the up main. It was enough to foul the block joints
leaving the up sidings, but just clear enough to allow up trains
(interurbans only as the Berowra services were canceled) to pass after
passing three signals at stop as per the regulations under flag men.

I hope this helps

Stuart Ellis.