Re: Melbourne's poor Met service

I commented:

and David Proctor <daproc@spam_this.umpires.com> wrote in article
> Most trackwork involves possession of the tracks, so I cannot see them
doing
> this.

I was thinking that the bus service should have been duplicated.  In the
case of Bayswater, one early one would make the regular train path at
Mitcham; one on the regular time from Bayswater would connect with a
Lilydale path at Mitcham, reducing the 40 minute interval to 20 minutes.

Somebody posted earlier that Sandrinhgam *had* to have a lousy service
during Cremorne bridge work because of the time needed to traverse the
single track between South Yarra and Elsternwick, combined with safeworking
delays.

The original plan was supposedly to run a train on each track.  While one
of them would require a double reversal at Elsternwick to cross the
trailing crossover, this would not be too time consuming.  There had to be
an operator on the ground anyhow to issue the safeworking authority.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith