Re: Swanston Street Works

Gareth Lumsden wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, John Wayman wrote:
>
> > There is probably room for trams to turn left into Victoria  Street, then
> > left again into Swanston Street, a nice little balloon loop,
> >

> True, but Victoria St is an extremely busy road and It would disrupt the
> traffic flow a lot.  (All traffic lights along there are links together
> i.e. all red the same time, all green at the same time)
> One other 'problem' is that once the tracks begin to turn into Victoria St
> (from Swanston St), then it becomes Yaralla Trams network (and Swankston
> Trams are no allowed to touch this.

But it happens whenever there is a major event in Swanston st. (ie grand prix
parade) when tram turn right down Latrobe st and travel westbound to william st.
(who pays for the points to be maintained?? :)

> > >Now that they have reconstructed the franklin st points... I would like to
> > see
> > >trams terminate there (ie instead of La Trobe Street) as it would ease the
> > >bank up that usually occurs (like this morning, Thurs) when trams have to
> > >queue across the intersection :(
> > >
> > >Johann
>
> But that would make sense !!  ;)

And I guess its too much trouble for the drivers of the through running trams (to
university/moreland/east coburg) to get out of their seats and change it back :)