Re: Brisbane Light Rail

>To answer your question the proposed  bike path is going from a suburb
>called St Lucia and tying in with the existing path (follows the Brisbane
>river).  The council is commandeering residential land (which is why I am so
>angry) along the river front which is exclusive and expensive and spending
>millions of dollars of our money on something that a minority will enjoy.

Now I understand - both where the path is proposed to go, and why you
are upset.  I must admit that although we have a reasonably extensive
bike path network here in Melbourne I don't believe any of them
required an acquisition of residential land.  They may have used land
between houses and creeks, but that land was never owned by the
residents, just used.  I don't remember hearing any fuss anyway.

Unfortunately it seems to be the aim of most forms of government to
spend money on minority interests.

>I dont know if you have been to Brisbane but the road system during peak
>hour is rubbish........the council wastes so much money on crap ie: million
>dollar renovation to the city mall, bike paths, etc when the basics are
>completely neglected.  Their idea of a good freeway is 4 lanes and 80-90
>km/h.  The latest thing they have brought in is 50 km/h speed limits in
>residential streets. (maybe its to get people to use the bike path to get
>where their going quicker).

I don't know whether any freeway in peak period could expect to be see
speeds of much more than 80-90, and personally I have no problem at
all with 50 in suburban streets, if they are not through routes.

>Anyway hope this enlightens you..

Thanks.  You have cleared up some of the issues in the thread which
had not been explained clearly at all.

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html