Re: Open access WA?

David Proctor wrote in message <7bfuj7$qi$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
>Krel wrote in message <36db7983.213717@news.netconnect.com.au>...
>
>>I don't think they expected it to happen to them. It would be
>>interesting to watch the sparks fly if a general freight carrier ever
>>decided to run trains around the Pilbara - unlikely, I know, but it
>>would be fun to see.
>
>Don't the mining companies who operate those lines own them too? Therefore
>they would not be able to be forced into allowing other operators onto the
>lines.
>
>DaveP

Not quite! The regime is anti-monopolist/pro-competitive under the Trade
Practices Act and National Competition policy. BHP/Newman cannot just tell
another miner to go away - they have to negotiate or the matter is
arbitrated.

What I'd like/expect to see is a Pilbara RR Corp which contracts to the
miners and anyone else minded to run trains up there to provide paths for
their trains, even power by the hour locos - and then builds up some
momentum to link through to Leonora and go for fast Singapore-Port Hedland
landbridge boxes (containers) traffic. It's a race for the North-East Coast
landbridge between Darwin and Port Hedland in my view - but maybe it's just
wishful daydreaming!

DW