Re: It's still academic

In article <36D62260.6EBE2451@fastlink.com.au>,
  Railway Rasputin <bob@fastlink.com.au> wrote:

> When the bottom light fails in a double light area, no matter what colour it
> might of been the driver must bring his train under control and travel un der
> caution to the next signal.
>
> If the second light was red theoretically the driver should be doing 60 kph as
> the signal before would of been green over yellow.

In newer areas, when a filament fails, the signalling system automatically
puts the preceding signal back at green over red, so the driver will always
be under caution when approaching the signal.  But, as we all know,
familiarity breeds contempt.  I was on a train the other daywhere the driver
flew past a green over red with no intention of slowing down.  He looked at
me and said "The next signal has a blown globe, so there's no need to slow
down".	It was a good thing there was not a train in front of us.