Re: ODD SIGNS

I was on a VR train and need to "see a man about a dog". I found a door
marked "Lavatory" and made a rash assumption. I opened the door, looked
inside, and thought "Strewth, someone's nicked the dunny!". Then I found a
door across the corridor marked "W.C". Assuming it was not a compartment
reserved for a certain British ex-prime minister, I went in. I decided that
the Victorian Railways must have a signwriter who is keen on using English
words derived from Latin in their "etymologically correct" sense.

Of course, the Americans euphemistically refer to a toilet as a "washroom".
They also call it a "bathroom" although, should the said room also house a
conatiner in which ones' body can be immersed for bathing, they invariably
call it a "tub" not  a "bath"! (Should call them "tubrooms" to be
consistent!

Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)