Re: VLP sold

John Wayman wrote:

> > Just out, VLP sold to National express
> >
> > Also sold to Nat Exp. is Hillside trains & Swanston trams......
> >

> And National Bus Company!
>
> They now own half the trains, half the trams, and one of the largest bus
> companies. How much is the combined subsidy they be getting?
>
> All they need to do is buy the other half and we will be back with one
> unified system again!
>
> It could then be run into the ground and bought back by the government.

Why would they run it into the ground? Private transit companies these
days stand to gain the most by attracting passengers with better
services and modern vehicles. Certainly that has been the experience in
New Zealand where another UK company, Stagecoach, has bought the main
bus services in Auckland and Wellington.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand