Re: Yarra Trams given to Metrolink

Clive Newall wrote:

> The government may be inclined to buy & demolish houses to make way
> for wider and/new freeways/tollways, but I submit that the chances of
> them doing likewise to extend the West Coburg tram line north of
> Bell Street is akin to the well-known snowball's chances in hell.

There is ample room on the streets to extend the West Coburg line north
over the route the connecting bus takes. The route would be Turner
Street, then Derby Street to Stephens Road or maybe South Street. The
roads concerned are just as wide as the route the line follows to Bell
Street, and less congested.

> Didn't the Airport West tram line get extended to the Westfield
> shopping centre a few years ago?

Yes, in 1992, but the plan at the time was to extend it a couple of kms
further, via Lancefield Road and Mickleham Road to Gladstone Park, which
is just beyond the Tullamarine Freeway bridge over Mickleham Raod..

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand