Re: What are the Proposed Radio Frequencies for the Broken Hill?

> >From: "Robert Parnell" <rparnell@netspace.net.au>
> >Subject: Re: What are the Proposed Radio Frequencies for the Broken Hill?
> >Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:34:22 +1000
>
> I understand what the SRA

SRA are now only an operator and are currently contractors to train control
functions for RAC. RAC now run the radio side of things as well.

is trying to achieve with this.
> Its an example though of re inventing the wheel.
> ie to now run over the Broken-Hill -Parkes section every operator now has
> comply with additional regulations , ie has to have yet another radio
system
> fitted to their locos, at their own cost.

Most locos are already fitted (that operate in NSW), the only difference is
that they will actually need to use it to traverse the Parkes-B.Hill
section. They already require it for Parkes-Orange.

> This doesnt do anything for their profitability, its just additional
> compliance costs.
> Whilst for large players like freightcorp or NRC the additional costs are
only
> a small percentage of their total operating budgets , its not the case for
> small operators who may wish to operate over the corridor in the future,eg
ASR
> for example if they ever run into Sydney from Adelaide.
> Surely if the SRA wanted to introduce a radio based system of Train Order
> working they could simply adopted what AN uses on the SA side of Broken
Hill.

The CountryNet system is too far advanced to pull it all out.

--
Robert Parnell
Rail Access/Railcom Technician, Electronics Enthusiast,