Re: Ringwood

Notagunzel wrote:

> Methinks it was after the prang at Broadmeadows, where a
> spark in the Down platform departed past a Mechanical Home
> at Stop, the reason it was at stop was because the road had
> been set for n Up Sprinter to preceded the Spark.  Therefore
> the Crossover at the Up end was normal, and the Spark
> proceeded to motor Up the DOWN line, where it 'found' the
> next Down waiting at the (I think) last auto.  Being a
> Mechanical Signal, there was no working Train Stop (as was
> 'normal'), but there was a fixed train stop for up trains
> just on the up side of the crossover.  BUT it had
> disappeared. And nobody noticed.  After that, some/most/all
> fixed train stops were actually replaced with non-working
> power trips, just so they could be electrically detected as
> intact.  And that Up Home off No. 2 Platform is now a boring
> 3 position colour light complete with Train Stop. :o(

How right you are. Darling was done because of this but Broady was
first.

> Another interesting feature of the Ringwood resignalling is
> the presence of intermediate train stops along the
> platforms, suggesting that the overlaps are very short.  So
> that leads to the quaint sight of several train stops on the
> approach to a fixed signal !?!

This probably means that crossing moves that appear to be within a
signals overlap are now permitted because the opposing train is now
proved by a number of trip arms to be travelling at a very slow speed
and hence would not overrun very far if it tripped at the departure
signal.

David Langley.
Waiting for you to do something at ..........