Re: Ringwood

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in
message 7kpl6r$f24$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7kpl6r$f24$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> : No signalling abolition pleases me, but technology must
take its course.

> I won't go through the moves you can now do, that a frame
would never let
> you do.  Like getting the signal 302 to procees, then run
points 204 (just
> after 304)  There are no speed trips, and no overlap past
304.  You
> could never do that with the frame.

So if I could please clarify, with the frame 302 locked 204
both ways, but with the panel you can 'swing' 302's overlap
with 204?  I assume 204 is only free in these circumstances
when the alterative route is also free?

> : One question though, on Signal 303 (Down Platform, Up
Home Departure) which
> : is a STOP signal only, why the need to put a fully
functional trip arm
> : there??

> : I would have thought they would use the standard "chunk
of metal" like Box
> : Hill or Cheltenham....

> I think you will find that thery are also mechanical trip
arms now, they
> are ment to use mechanical trip arms for fixed RED
signals, after one of
> these "chunks of metal" was removed by someone that
thought it didn't
> do anything at Darling.  So the theory is that a
mechanical one won't
> be removed as it looks like it does something.

Methinks it was after the prang at Broadmeadows, where a
spark in the Down platform departed past a Mechanical Home
at Stop, the reason it was at stop was because the road had
been set for n Up Sprinter to preceded the Spark.  Therefore
the Crossover at the Up end was normal, and the Spark
proceeded to motor Up the DOWN line, where it 'found' the
next Down waiting at the (I think) last auto.  Being a
Mechanical Signal, there was no working Train Stop (as was
'normal'), but there was a fixed train stop for up trains
just on the up side of the crossover.  BUT it had
disappeared. And nobody noticed.  After that, some/most/all
fixed train stops were actually replaced with non-working
power trips, just so they could be electrically detected as
intact.  And that Up Home off No. 2 Platform is now a boring
3 position colour light complete with Train Stop. :o(

Another interesting feature of the Ringwood resignalling is
the presence of intermediate train stops along the
platforms, suggesting that the overlaps are very short.  So
that leads to the quaint sight of several train stops on the
approach to a fixed signal !?!

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.