Re: Scanning Photos

<<<<<If you're scanning for the web, you certainly don't need any more reso
than
150dpi and saving using JPEG even at 60% good quality setting is adequate
for most photos.>>>>>

This is bad advice. You never need to scan higher than 96 PPI for the web and
90% of photo's on the web are at 72PPI. Most monitors can't show more than
72PPI (some go to 96) so there is absolutely no use in ever scanning higher
than that UNLESS you want the viewer to download and print the photo, in which
case you would probably want more than 150 PPI.

The higher PPI you use the bigger the file so getting PPI right for web viewing
is quite important.

BTW, the term DPI should not be used unless you are going to print an image.
There are no dots on a computer screen, only pixels, hence the term PIXELS per
inch. (Interesting that Australian users use the term "per inch" still.)

Your rule of thumb is also quite misleading, there are many different jpeg
compression algorithims out there. 60% on one program may produce very
different quality to 60% on another. A good jpeg compression program like Adobe
ImageReady lets me get down to 30% no problems. But if I used 30% with
PhotoShop's jpeg compression I get an ugly mess.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/