Re: axle boxes ( F.V.)

<<<<<<Don't quote me on this, but it may be to do with crack detection.  It has
probably always been done, but bogies used to get painted with a nice VR
brown after the overhaul.  This probably is no longer happening.
I do know that after a wheel has been crack detected it has its rim
painted white as part of the process.>>>>

Most railways around the world (and the FRA) ban the painting of couplers and
wheels because paint can cover up a crack that needs to be detected. Of course
you can have a crack on a bogie or side sill and it is not as critical as a
crack in a coupler or wheel so painting bogies is no problem.

Mark
Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/