CityRail passenger info upgrade

Hi all,

Well, I was only joking when I asked whether CityRail were seriously
considering installing CRT or plasma monitors at suburban stations, but
apparently they are! According to

http://www.smh.com.au/news/9906/22/national/national11.html

all CBD stations, Redfern, North Sydney, Kings Cross, Edgecliff, Bondi
Junction, Ashfield, Strathfield, Lidcombe and Penrith will get a Martin
Place type of PID installation. Whilst it is good to see a commitment
to improved passenger information (and a shame to see the union
whingeing about supposed 'passenger confusion' caused by hi-tech PID
systems), I really don't see why they want to use this type of system.
It looks particularly vandal attractive, and I don't think the fancy
monitors will last very long in some of the stations to get the
installation. SPI has shown itself to be effective, and has coped well
at stations such as Sutherland and Campbelltown. On the plus side, it
seems that this new system will be remotely operated, hence providing
more reliable information than some of the current installations do...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/