Re: Melbourne Airport Link II (Vic)

I did a quick assessment while travelling from Melbourne to Broadmeadows on
Sat.19.6.

In general, lowering a railway provides a quieter and less visually
intrusive approach to increasing the number of tracks within an existing
reservation and providing space for four-track stations, built in the style
of those on the northern line (Perth, WA), many in Sydney (NSW) and Boronia
(Melbourne, Vic.).

Elevating provides some of the benefits (eg Richmond Vic).

My feeling was:
elevate the existing low level lines from North Melbourne Jn; change the
lead into the grain siding at Kensington to the up end; replace Kensington
station with an elevated one.

Ascot Vale is a congested site: lower the railway, staying low through
Moonee Ponds.

Essendon: lower the railway to eliminate the up-end level crossing; and put
Mt Alexander Rd back up again (where it must have been years ago); this
leads naturally into the descent through Glenbervie and Strathmore.

Pascoe Vale: elevate the road (or elevate the railway).
Next level crossing: lower the road.
Glenroy: lower the railway.
Jacana: plenty of room for four platforms at the existing level

Broadmeadows: a mess, because of lack of foresight in constructing the
current station.
The current station could be salvaged by converting the existing down
platform to an island one; and shifting the sg line to the east.

Alternatively, lowering the railway would have many benefits: eliminate the
sg flyover (which has a restrictive grade), remove a redundant road
overline bridge.

The change must allow for the future extension of electrification
northwards: to Coolaroo, Mt Ridley and Craigieburn.

The noise-abatement green strip is quite evident just north of Meadow Fair,
and the airport hotel is quite visible beyond.

This route would provide the fastest service to the airport, with many
additional benefits to local communities if integrated with existing
services.

Possible running times:
Flinders St pfm 11 - Spencer St 3 min;
 - North Melbourne 2 min
 - Broadmeadows - 9 min
 - airport 4 min
At these times, two tracks to Broadmeadows would suffice, still leaving
paths for country trains.
--
Regards
Roderick Smith