Re: Driver Training History

TM wrote:

> IIRC the AFULE amalgamated with the Australian Railways Union (ARU),
> the Australian Tramways and Motor Omnibus Employees Association
> (ATMOEA) and the National Union of Railway Workers of Australia
> (NURWA) to form the Rail, Tram and Bus Industry Union which was to be
> commonly known as the Public Transport Union(PTU). The PTU was formed
> as a result of the amalgamation. It did not exist before amalgamation.

I thought that the amalgamation was driven more by the Fed Govt. policy of
reducing the number of unions - creating larger industry based "super" unions
rather than multiple unions representing workers in the same or similar roles.

I'm not saying whether it was a good or bad thing though.

Cheers
Shaun