Re: Twilight of the Passenger As?

On 17 Jun 1999 04:33:42 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote,
and I selectively quote:

>What happened to WCR? I thought they were in the running!

Not for some time.

I wouldn't imagine VLP would hold the same sort of attraction for
bidders that VLF did: VLF was a guaranteed franchise for the next 15
years, VLP is required to go bid for passenger services within the
next couple of years which could see some lines busified or go to
operators other than VLPp (ie WCR, Hoys, any another new entrant).
OTOH, VLPp could also bid for Warrnambool (Victoria, Australia) line,
so the pass future is far less clearly defined than VLF's was.

I suppose there ia a political imperative to ensure that rail
passenger services aren't too curtailed and our "Passenger Charter"
supposedly ensures a maintenance of current passenger operations.

The word is that FV wants VLP to integrate their rail services (I
suppose you could then call it V/Line or something <g!>) and
especially transfer the N classes to freight work where their DOO
operation, 2400HP and HEP would be of more advantage.

But if the new operator has to spend $80 million in the first four
years, and he gets no track, just locos and carriages and some
franchises that run out within a couple of years with no guarantee
that they will be the successful bidder for renewal (unless we use the
modified Victorian tender system), what value does that place on VLP?

VLF with 100+ locomotives, 2000+ wagons, 15 year lease on the
infrastructure went for $163 million, with a promise to spend $36
million in two years, less the $25 million pa to subsidise passenger
ops.

BTW, the article mentions 45 year old A classes.  The frames might be,
but the locos were rebuilt from B classes in the early 80's.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos