Re: Builder of the Alice to Darwin Line gives further details.

"David Proctor"
<thadocta@spam.ozemail.spam.com.spam.au> wrote:

> I know it is obviously too early to give any definitive plans, but have GSR
> given any indication regarding plans to extend the Ghan to Darwin, and if
> so, will it be both Ghans? This would obviously have implications for
> rolling stock utilisation, as one set would not be able to operate the full
> service as it does now.
>
> If their are plans to do this, then GSR need to start planning it fairly
> soon, as (I believe - subject to correction) refurbishments will need to
> commence to ensure that two full sets (plus spares) are available.

I have no idea if GSR plans to run regular passenger
services to Darwin.  If they have not, I bet they are
planning now.  ;-)
GSR have pole position for "inaugural specials" and I
suspect they will be very busy, come completion time.

Given this will be the last great rail project which
will finally span the continent from South to North,
there will not be a shortage of people wanting to
travel it.  There are generations of Australians who
have only read about the early Railway endevours, this
time they will have a chance to experience it.

----Terry Burton
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>