Re: Z 67 (was Kew tram depot

David Langley wrote:

> Daniel Bowen wrote:
>
> > Saw it today inbound on route 67, in Glen Huntly, 11am-ish, Sat June
> > 5th.
> >
> > Why was it significant again?
>
> First Z with a pantograph. At first did not run often, was at Brunswick
> and ran yo-yo to connect with East Coburg tram at East Brunswick, when
> it ran. Nowadays just another Z1 with a pantograph.

It was more than just the first Z with a pan. It was the first Z
actually to get an overhaul, in late 1992. This included new modular
dash panels, new-style light clusters, removal of conductor consoles to
allow an increase to 52 seats, rebuilt trucks to improve the rough ride
of the Z1s and various other features... oh yes, it was the first Z with
dot matrix destination displays....

The reason it wasn't used much is that the changes made it non-standard.

Does anyone know whether it kept all the new features, or was it
converted back to standard Z1 design?  For example, the dot-matrix
displays were quite different to those fitted to Z1s some years later
when they got their overhauls, and the light clusters were quite
different from the Z1 standard.

It wasn't running when I was there 18 months back so I was not able to
check it out for myself,.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand