Re: Z 67 (was Kew tram depot

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, David McLoughlin wrote:

> David Langley wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Bowen wrote:
> >
> > > Saw it today inbound on route 67, in Glen Huntly, 11am-ish, Sat June
> > > 5th.
>
> It was more than just the first Z with a pan. It was the first Z
> actually to get an overhaul, in late 1992. This included new modular
> dash panels, new-style light clusters, removal of conductor consoles to
> allow an increase to 52 seats, rebuilt trucks to improve the rough ride
> of the Z1s and various other features... oh yes, it was the first Z with
> dot matrix destination displays....
>
> The reason it wasn't used much is that the changes made it non-standard.
>
> Does anyone know whether it kept all the new features, or was it
> converted back to standard Z1 design?  For example, the dot-matrix
> displays were quite different to those fitted to Z1s some years later
> when they got their overhauls, and the light clusters were quite
> different from the Z1 standard.

Externally it became the same as all other Z cars - I think it's
destination display was transferred to Z3.173 (currently at Kew depot).
Internally, many features match a B2. - It has cloth seats, It's drivers'
doors are brown in color, and looking much a B2 door; and has mesh at the
front of the car also like a B2.  The only other difference which comes to
mind is the door steps - they are unique, being a worn out yellow color.
For it's original modification, Check out the book Destination City (5th
ed) page 13 and 108. There's also a photo on page 17.

Gareth.

Gareth Lumsden     s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au    glums112@yahoo.com
Have you ever chased, seen, waited around for excessive periods of time
for, photographed, travelled long distances for, read magazines about,
researched unnecessarily about, worried about, missed out on
opportunities because of, neglected other factes of life beacause of,
could have invested money on something other than, wasted time and
money on, contributed, edited and created magazines about, got sick of
and crawled back to, cabrode, rode with dickheads on, been entertained
on, been bored to death on, slept on, driven, walked faster than, met
idiots on, found Inner Neighbourhood tickets on, riden on refurbished
Harris, Tait, Hitachi, Comeng, Goninan, V/Line, Countrylink, Australian
National, Great Southern Railway, CityRail, Transadelaide, National Rail,
V/Line, V/Line frieght, West Coast Rail, Great Northern, Freightcorp,
talked about, joked about, or riden in trains?
You must be interested in trains! - Visit my web page:
http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9763278                                 1