Re: How do you scan slides?

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:08:00 +1000, "John Wayman" <trecker@bigpond.com>
wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I regularly read of people scanning slides to post to newsgroups or put on a
>web page. I also have a large collection of slides, and would like to be
>able to copy them to the internet.

I use an HP Photosmart Scanner:  it scans 35mm colour slides, strips
of 35mm negatives and prints up to 5"x7".   Costs about $750-800.

SCSI interface, it installed like a dream and has worked faultlessly
since purchase (like every HP peripheral I've ever purchased):  it
comes with software which is "simplistic", but works really well -
most/all of the time, its automatic settings work better than you can
pick.

There is also third party software produced by Hamrick software
(browse to www.hamrick.com) called VueSmart which is capable of
exploiting the Photosmart scanner even further.

Don't bother with flatbeds with transparency adapters - they still
scan at 300/600 dpi, which is useless for a slide (you need up to 2400
dpi, depending on what output you want).  Go to www.scantips.com for
the ultimate scanner FAQ.

All but 2 or 3 pics on my home page were scanned in with this scanner.

In the US, the latest version of this scanner has just been released
as the S20.

Highly recommended.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos

Reply to: steam4me@enternet.com.au

Personal Web site at http://people.enternet.com.au/~steam4me/index.htm
Recipient of Compuserve Web Gem Award
Web site moving soon - stay tuned for details

The Steam Media Productions web site has moved to
http://www.railpage.org.au/smedia