Re: Melbourne's Citylink Bridge is fantastic for phographing trains!

John Wayman wrote:

> Last weekend the Citylink bridge was open for pedestrians.
>
> The walk over the river was very interesting, and the views of the city and
> destroyed area that used to be our docks were great.
>
> On reaching Footscray Rd on the return I noticed that some people were
> walking on the section of the bridge not open to the public (the section
> straddling the Upfield line).
>
> Well for a railfan, the views between Footscray Road and Racecourse Rd were
> fantastic.
>
> You could see Dynon Loco depot turntable snuggled under the bridge, North
> Melbourne Junction and the junction next to the old Four 'n' Twenty Pie
> Factory, a nice aerial view of Great Northern's freight depot, standard
> gauge lines etc.
>
> When it opens, I can envisage a number of fans experiencing fake car
> problems in the area, and putting the bonnet up to enjoy the view.
>
> Just remember your e-tag,

Yes, I've noticed its useful location when I have been out that way myself, and
thought about a fake breakdown, especially when heading north around South Dynon
loco. Of course, I have little intention of using it until the tolls cease,
however many years that will be.
I suppose it would be too much to ask Citylink/Transurban to add on a few
viewing platforms for us 8-).

PS. Could any future premier change the name of the Bolte Bridge to someone more
deserving? (although, admittedly this wouldn't be difficult <g>).

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers