Re: The Age today - "Rail Review Gets Released"

Reuben Farrelly <reuben@mira.net.AAAA> wrote:

> How does Queensland Rail compare with other railway systems with regards
> to:
> * Economic viability   (efficiency of the organisation and also
> Government subsidies if any)
> * Service  (fares and number of locations/stops)

Queensland appears to be doing quite well, their annual
tonnages are second only to the Pilbara roads.
The revenue from coal and ore helps to keep the rest of
the system going.

> I gather there's more of a general rail "culture" in Queensland.  Every
> second person seems to have some involvement with trains, if not that
> they regularly use them then they work for them...

They still employ a lot of Queenslanders. ;-)

Only time will tell, but with the exception of the
Brisbane to NSW Border standard gauge, I think the rest
of the QR narrow gauge system will remain with the
State for a long while yet.
It beats me why the Feds do not get the ball rolling on
the East Coast and take over the Bris to NSW SG now.!

----Terry Burton
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>