Re: CityRail Problems 28/5/99

> The government even tells us to use public transport when we are drunk
> but then they fine us for drinking or being drunk. Might as well take
> my chance in driving a car and killing someone rather than getting a
> fine for being drunk.

There is a difference between drinking and being drunk. Furthermore
there is a difference between drinking, say, in a pub, and drinking on a
train.

I think you'll find the government encourages people to take public
tranpsort (rather than driving) if they have been drinking. I don't
think the government encourages people to be drunk at all.

I have no problem with people having a few drinks on a Saturday night,
and I would encourage them to take public transport rather than drive.
However, people in an state of alcohol intoxication can cause problems
onboard a train, and allowing people to consume alcohol on a train may
encourage them to engage in loutish behaviour.

DB.