Re: Y2K Fears to Stop Cityrail Trains

jumbojim@my-deja.com wrote:

> Fair enough. Stop the trains before midnight. Who would really want to
> spend 0000 on 1/1/00 on a train anyway.
>
> The problem is unlikely to be one of Cityrail's making. More likely it
> will be a failure of Energy Australia's Power Supplies or
> Telstra's/RAC's communications/signalling equipment.
>
> Imagine what might happen. You could conceivably have trains stranded in
> tunnels without traction, tunnel lighting or station lighting power for
> several hours.
>
> If it happens, Cityrail won't be the only ones in strife, many other
> entities such as RTA traffic control might be in the same boat.
> Emergency service assistance to evacuate underground stations and trains
> would be minimal on that night. Trains need not be refuged or stabled,
> just stood at a platform for the duration.
>
> A further problem time could be 0100 on 1/1/00 (midnite EST) and the
> sleeper of a problem time could be 1100 on 1/1/00 (midnite UTC or GMT).
>
> Y2K is a consultants minting machine. How many are real. How many are
> grabbing the cash and running.  I think there are more of the latter
> than the former. All will be revealed by 1100 on 1/1/00.
>
> JJ

  It's all very well to be conservative about the whole mater, but there are
battery lights in most places
for the event of loss of power. They are actually there for power running
down due to a fire in most
buildings including the stations, and all trains have emergency lights
running from a battery also.
Although this is no substitute for full power, surely requiring the
emergency services to see us out
of a station if the need arose seems a little zealous?