Re: [Melb] Hillside Trains takeover: farce?

WhaleOilBeefHooked <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
5s7m3.9$Ym2.289292@news0.optus.net.au">news:5s7m3.9$Ym2.289292@news0.optus.net.au...
>> My personal dream is a 30 min service to every location between
> >0000
> >and 0430 every day. I have been in the city when the last train leave and
> >with all
> >night shopping/crown/nightclubs, the nightriders are just not good enough
> >any more.
>
> They would be if they did wwhat Sydney did, and extend last trains until
> about 1.30 or 2am on some lines on weekends, and also run extra
Nightriders
> on Friday and Saturday nights. Nightriders shold also run 7 days a week,
and
> accept regular tickets. But then, people would use them more, wouldn't
they?

I whole heartedly support this idea.  As a constant clubber (yes, I'm not
afraid to admit it), I use to have to stay at my friend's apartment in West
Melbourne when we went clubbing due to the lack of public transport.  He's
now living in London for the next 7 months, so now one of us has to stay as
the designated driver.

You may see a flaw with this, but this is based on the fact that there are a
helluva lot of people going clubbing on Thursday nights, and are also
starting to improve on Wednesday nights.  I can tell you that the Chevron on
St. Kilda Rd. is always packed every Thursday night, perhaps it's busiest
night of the week.  And what do you have to do if you want to go home by
train?  Leave the club at 11.30 to walk (11.45 for a cab, presuming there is
already one there ready to go) to FSS so you can take the last train at
12.05.  The clubs don't start until about 11.00 - 12.00, so what's the point
in going?

NightRiders to where I live have improved, but still need to be improved
even further.  Formerly,  all buses went to Bayswater.  Now the 2.30, 3.30
and 4.30 buses from City Square go right to Belgrave (I live in Upwey
South).  This is good, but I personally don't think it's good enough.  Why
not run all of the Bayswater buses to Belgrave and have them run via
Bayswater?