Re: [Melb] Hillside Trains takeover: farce?

Jennifer Richmond wrote in message <3798F8AC.212DED58@melbpc.org.au>...

>Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:
>> Now, let's see... 130 extra services per week. Let's be generous, and
assume
>> that all 130 services will be added on working days...
>
>MTE have said that these will be added on weekends.
>
>> that means 26 extra
>> services a day. Now, divide this across five railway lines (Ringwood,
>> Glen Waverley, Hurstbridge, Epping, Alamein) ... that brings us to an
>> average of 5 extra services a day per line.
>
>Cut out Alamein. This gives us at least 6 per line. An extra service on
Sunday
>morning, Sunday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night and a "shopper
special"
>express each Sat and Sun could vastly improve the system!

And if they are going to be on weekends, that is 130 extra trains (65 each
way) over two days, 32 extra trains per day, over four lines gives 8 extra
trains per line pre day in each direction. Sound like an improvement to me.

>I'm not saying that your ideas are bad, they are very good. They just need
a bit of
>refinement. My personal dream is a 30 min service to every location between
0000
>and 0430 every day. I have been in the city when the last train leave and
with all
>night shopping/crown/nightclubs, the nightriders are just not good enough
any more.

They would be if they did wwhat Sydney did, and extend last trains until
about 1.30 or 2am on some lines on weekends, and also run extra Nightriders
on Friday and Saturday nights. Nightriders shold also run 7 days a week, and
accept regular tickets. But then, people would use them more, wouldn't they?

DaveP