Re: Speed Limits in Vic

Rod wrote:

> An interesting observation from an old retired friend. Told me why the
> "plains" is suffering so badly
> lately, and why the drainage problems have appeared.
> Seems that in days long past our 'Fore-Fathers' fixed the problem by
> planting long rows of sugar gums between the fence and the right of way!
> These trees grew tall and thick, and 'drank' all the ground water, thus
> allowing the track to stabilise, and this fixed a multitude of problems.
> Recently after all the old stodgers were long gone and buried, our
> University trained types got a little sick of clearing the many dead
> branches that came down on the line and started to clear the
> trees........oh no! where did all this mud come from!

A lovely story and it would be funny except it is so true and there are many
others. In my railway days, management was railway trained (pun take it or
leave it) but before I left the business school types were taking over and
proper practices were being thrown out the window in the name of efficiency.
1989 was a good time to flee the sinking ship.

David.