Re: Speed Limits in Vic

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
>Does anyone know what improvements in speed limits, if any there have been
>across the Cressy plains as a result of the track relaying,
<<<<BIG SNIP>>>>>>

At least where there is 54 or 60 kg/m rail Vic  should be running
>freights at 115 km/h  as NSW does.
>
>MD
>According to New Working Timetable I got today  80 kph all the way!
but I am reliably informed this will go to 115 kph by year end. They will
wait a little to ensure it beds down and that the drainage is fixed.
An interesting observation from an old retired friend. Told me why the
"plains" is suffering so badly
lately, and why the drainage problems have appeared.
Seems that in days long past our 'Fore-Fathers' fixed the problem by
planting long rows of sugar gums between the fence and the right of way!
These trees grew tall and thick, and 'drank' all the ground water, thus
allowing the track to stabilise, and this fixed a multitude of problems.
Recently after all the old stodgers were long gone and buried, our
University trained types got a little sick of clearing the many dead
branches that came down on the line and started to clear the
trees........oh no! where did all this mud come from!
Rod