Re: Sydney Airport Rail Service

My understanding was that although the project was being built by
private enterprise the vast majority of the funding came from the
Government. I think the private sector was putting in around 200
million and the Government put in the majority 800 million. I may be
wrong on the exact figures but I think the proportions are about
right. I can remember thinking when the contracts were signed in the
dying days of the Fahey Government that the private companies involved
got a pretty good deal out of it all - the Government (ie. the
taxpayer) carried most of the risk for the project !

The project is certainly a major achievement and is likely to improve
services on a number of lines but I don't think it's going to have a
huge effect in turning around Sydney's car dependence. Probably just a
quick way for a number of highly paid suits to get back to their city
pads after jetsetting around the globe.