Re: Federation Tramway (Canberra)

>That said, does Australia need yet-another half-arsed tramway?
>
>Sure, the Sydney one is nice, but unless they intend to:
>
>1) Expand it further
>2) Integrate it into the overall PT ticketing system
>
>...it'll continue to be fairly useless, and I will (when in Sydney) only
>consider using it when it's too late to safely walk from Darling Harbour
>to Central Station.
>
>If you're going to spend large sums of money on tram infrastructure, it's
>probably more worthwhile to extend the thing to many points in a given city
>(ie, like Melbourne's) than to just put in a silly little single line...

You've got to start somewhere, in this day and age, if Melbourne only had a
tram that ran from Flinders Street to Richmond, it would be a joke too, But
this line was successful and so they built more.

Admittedly though, trams were a modern idea which progressive cities had,
much like an urban motor bus in the 1950s or large freeways in the 60s and
70s. Sadly, light rail is not a political interest yet, although to be fair
there is talk of extending the Sydney one, when and where seems to be the
main issue here. Not holding my breath though.