Re: Length of Spencer street station

David wrote:

> Could someone please tell me how many cars does platform 1 and 2 hold?
> I am writing this because it seems that when the Ghan is over 19 cars, it
> seems to have to be split in to two halves in platform 1 and 2.
> Does anyone know what is the longest train to come in to Spencer Street
> station.

A 19 car Overland just fitted in platform 2 with the van at the buffers. Two
S class locos stuck out beyond the platform and an additional signal was
provided some years ago so that this length Overland could sit clear of the
rest of the throat prior to departure. An arrival 19 car train would cause
the rear cars to be beyond the platform and thus it would require to be split
to enable all cars to be accommodated in a platform without having the
passengers walk through the cars to detrain.

David Langley.