Re: Length of Spencer street station

Spencer St pfm 1 will hold 18 carriages (or 17 and a loco).
Trains to Sydney were limited by the capacity of the platforms in Sydney.

pfm 2 used to hold a 19 car Overland:
departing trains had both locos off the end of the platform.
arriving ones had the van and motorail off the platform.

Flinders St pfm 1 would hold a 24-car train.

I did a design excercise a couple of years ago when there was a proposal to
close Spencer St and run all trains from Flinders St, and I used pfm 1 as
the sg platform.

I also tried using the combined pfm 11 & 13 for sg: it had room to be
extended.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith