Re: Flat Wheels in Sydney

Tibor Weitzen <wtzn@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
XXng3.3161$A55.22768@ozemail.com.au">news:XXng3.3161$A55.22768@ozemail.com.au...

> "chris 'fufas' grace" <chris@icos.net.nz> wrote in message
> 1999Jul2.172459.2690@transdataco.nz">news:1999Jul2.172459.2690@transdataco.nz...
> >

> > Matthew Geier wrote in message <7lha3b$f49$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au>...

> > > Not on Tangaras. They have disk brakes :-). This is the reason they
> appear
> > >to have more flats....
> > >
> > I was wondering about this. Could the cause be fallen leaves as it is in
> the
> > UK? The other problem is that tread brakes 'condition' the wheel tyre
> while
> > disk brakes do not...
>
> 1. The UK "fallen leaves" are tales for non-railway public & reporters.
Ask
> National Rail people about millipedes in SA and how AN/NRC fight them with
> air-brushes etc.
> 2. During tendering period for 4GT, I have performed a lot of brake
> calculations that revealed, that disc brakes are extremely sensitive to
> track conditions and there shall be most attention paid to relation
between
> braking effort and rail adhesion of the wheel during the WHOLE braking
> period until the train stops. The low speed is most dangerous for
skidding -
> the driver's experience most crucial in this stage of stopping or slowing
> down.
> 3. The composite brake shoe CAN NOT 'condition' the wheel. The cast iron
can
> do it in very limited amount.
>
> Take care.

 Most of the problems in the Adelaide Hills is not millipedes  its AN's (now
ARTC'S) insistance on (over) using rail greasers.

Every bloody curve has one, the constant traffic eventually spreads the muck
onto the rail head causing slipping up hill and sliding down hill (more so
it wet weather). I guess they save a bit on rail wear but the cost in time
and fuel would out weight that.

Bob