Re: Melb.Australia Rolling stock

Rod wrote:

> >The original design by Martin & King for the Hitachis included Sharfenburgs
> >from the outset, but VR had only just got rid of screw couplers and they
> >didn't want yet another new coupler in the fleet.
> >
> I think you jest!  but for the record, that's crap!
> Victoria took the plunge and fitted knuckles years before most.

Causing a 40 year nightmare. The large W cars were built in the 20s with
conversion in mind, hence the transition screw coupler in an auto coupler
pocket, but with frames suitable for autos. Mass conversion started in the
mid 30s, but there were still screw couplers in revenue service into the
70s (Tait cars into the 80s).

Don't forget VR introduced link and pin couplers on the Walkers in the 50s.

> There were only a few wooden
> bodied carriages and workman's sleepers still in service in 1962, and they
> only because either they were not in revenue service, or conversion would
> have been impossible because of the chassis construction.

The V cars were still owned and (mechanically) maintained by VR into the
70s
(no 80km/h restrictions on them then!) Although only for heritage
purposes,
they still caused problems.

In theory, PL cars were unsuitable for conversion to auto.

> And I should not forget the Taits either.
> Except for a few lines like Eltham, they were not divided anyway!

Taits have to be included in the equation. They were still in service into
the 80s, and during the design phase of the Hitachis, the V cars had not long
been out of revenue service and Jolimont was still lifting Doggies.

Introducing a new type of coupler to the system was an unnecessary
complication in the early 1970s, should the next train following a
Doggie, Tait or Walker have a Scharfenburg. Certainly it can be done,
but how many transition
couplers should you reasonably have to carry?

By the late 70s, the Doggies had been withdrawn and the Walkers and
Taits didn't
have long to go. Transition wasn't so much of an issue.

Cheers
David