Re: Melb.Australia Rolling stock

Ashley Wright wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:53:00 +1000, "Steven Hurst"
> <hurste@primus.com.au> wrote:
>
> >> Bayside will buy Adtranz and Hillside will buy Alstom. Naturally they will
> >> be totally incompatable.
> >
> >Really it would not be that big a problem would it??
>
> You would think it would only be a problem if you had small numbers of
> a type of stock (ie 1 4D set). If you have enough then it should be
> simple to roster and not have to worry, just look at Sydney's
> Tangara's and the older stock. They arn't compatable.

Mainly due to the couplers. The WorM and K sets could operate in multiple
quite happily.

Further to my earlier post, around the time the 4D was delivered, there was
a plan to modify the Hitachis so they would operate in multiple with the
Comeng, hence with the 4D. Not just in emergencies, but in regular service.

The original design by Martin & King for the Hitachis included Sharfenburgs
from the outset, but VR had only just got rid of screw couplers and they
didn't want yet another new coupler in the fleet.

Cheers
David